|Please excuse the mess.|
And this time I was armed with knowledge of how to pad it out and make it more "me" shaped. I started out I used the dial for the upper bust and under bust (which on the dress form = waist) measurements. Then I used one of my older bras and padded that out and then started with the quilt batting. I did two wrap-arounds with low-loft polyester, tucking it under the bra strap. Next I cut out more rounded shapes to pad the tummy and posterior. I measured as I went, both myself at the moment, then the dress form. I'd stand side by side with it to make sure it was approximately the same shape as me. This also meant I ended up in my underwear. Actually, that happens a lot when I'm at the "try it on" phase. I don't always remember to pull the blinds cause we practically live in the woods, so its really only an issue if I have pervy neighbors with binoculars and insomnia. In any case, I now I basically "bump breasts" with it if I'm trying to put a tape measure around or something, which means I probably have a good height too.
I then draped and pinned some scrap red knit/lycra I had kept around pinned an approximation, and then serged. You can tell from the white showing that I didn't bother to change the serger thread. Cause I'm lazy like that. I didn't really think to take photos of that part. It was around this time my roommate woke up and wandered through the sun room and said "Hey, that's very you shaped!" Bonus.
The padding did settle after a days sleep, so when I got up and had enough coffee in me to ask his opinion, my husband says "Good job, but your doppelganger needs more butt padding". *insert BADUMDUM TISS here*
|Oh yes, I plan to put BOTH sergers to work on these. There's one more that I cut but is not in this picture.|
He's right, probably need a bit more of a tummy pooch too. Ah, the joys of motherhood. Now I just need to sew up that pile of knits sitting next to the sewing machines. Hmmm.