Monday, January 21, 2013

Community Supported Agriculture

This post is not really about sewing, so you can skip this if that's really all you're here for.  However, if you've been around before you know I go on tangents, so there's that.

Chickens let loose on fallow field, those are onions. Mmmm.

This post is about Community Supported Agriculture or CSA's, and I am a member of one. Its a family run farm named "Spreading Oaks" about 20 miles from my house, even further out of the city (Atlanta) than myself. I first met them at one of the local farmers' markets and they won my loyalty with their personable demeanor. The wife is also a science teacher, so she had my heart there too. They sell produce, free range eggs, and grass fed beef, all of which I have photographic evidence of here.

Beef

  They had their first annual "meet and greet" on the farm this past Saturday. They talked about what will be grown this year, which is exciting, because they are adding more herbs and fruits.  I wish I had brought my DSLR with me because the property is just beautiful.  I did get permission to come back in the spring when things are starting to grow and bloom, and I'm looking forward to bringing you photos of that venture. One of the things our meet and greet  did remind me of is that farming is hard work. It takes a special sort of dedication to coax things to grow out of the ground, to keep back pests, and hope the weather cooperates.  Part of being a member is sharing in that risk, too. Of course there's the ethical and environmental benefits of being a member too, which I admit is part of the appeal.

The horse and miniature donkey. They were a hit with the kids. The horse wasn't so happy with Simon after he tried to feed him onions. *giggle*

Much like those of us that sew, its another way of being subversive. I think it takes a while for ideas to sink into a society, ideas of fairness, equality, and environmentalism. I've gone the activist knocking-on-doors route and while it was OK for a short period of time its exhausting, and often annoying to other people. Perhaps this is why I've never liked the idea of prosthelytizing. Instead, I find I'd rather take the way of being an ordinary person living by example. We don't have to change everything at once, but take small steps toward the path of balance. By doing something beneficial as if its completely ordinary the idea spreads. I'm sure this applies to many things.

Next post will be about my current project, honest.  If you made it this far thanks for reading my stream of thought.

5 comments:

  1. Good on you! Also just to let you know I nominated you for a Liebster award :)

    http://becstitches.blogspot.com.au/2013/01/eeep-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your assessment and your commitment. Thanks daughter for the person you are. Love Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ordinary person living by example - Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree with juliet, that last paragraph is made of awesome.

    ReplyDelete