Thursday, April 12, 2012

Taxed Out

I finished my taxes a whole five days early. GO ME.  Now I'm waiting till tomorrow to put it in snail mail so they don't cash the check before my next payday.  I like to live on the edge.

So. Sewing. Um... I got most of my first dress cut out after my second run.  Here's a visual of some of the changes I've made.

Front bodice
 Instead of doing the weird fifth piece that was suppose to be the "modesty panel" I raised the neckline and added a front seam.  I plan on reinforcing it with some silk organza bias strips. Twill tape would be too heavy, I think.


back bodice
I also raised the back bodice and did a rounded shoulder adjustment. That seemed to help a lot with the "want to slide off the shoulder" problem.  I also had to lengthen the dart some.  Its not apparent on both photos but I added width to the front and back shoulder seam.

At the same time I bought the large tracing paper, which you can see under my pattern pieces up above, I bought some interfacing from  https://www.fashionsewingsupply.com/ .  I'm never buying cheap interfacing again. EVER.  It seems pricey at first but its also 60+ inches wide, so one yard goes a long way.  

Its suppose to be black, but it came out dark plum.
I'm trying not to buy new fabric for the next couple months but I might have to break down and get some more white batiste.  The eight yards that I bought over a year ago is almost gone.  In my frugality I went so far as to dye enough for the lining of the dress. I'm a bit short though, so the lining will be just enough for modesty, really.

Um, that's all for now I think. Not really exciting.  I feel the need to share the pattern/fabric buying rampage I went on during all the sales last year. That should take up a few posts. Lots of pretties!  How are you surviving tax day?

2 comments:

  1. We finally did our taxes last week or the week before (my husband's main tax form got lost in the mail :P)... they aren't due until the end of April in Canada, as far as I can tell, though, and Revenue Canada is not nearly as scary as the IRS even if you're late ;). But we generally get a hefty refund, so it's not so traumatic...

    Can't wait to see how the dress turns out! I figure lining & interfacing don't count when it comes to stash-busting pledges, because they're fabrics that help you *use up* other stash. Of course, if you're just trying to save money that's not so helpful ;)

    Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have lots of bemberg lining I can use but for summer dresses I prefer cotton batiste. Bemberg does not absorb sweat the way cotton does.

      Delete