Friday, August 24, 2012

Decor With Elder Gods

Remember my going nuts over the "Picnic Cthulhu" fabric on Spoonflower?  Well I totally ordered some... and made placemats for my table.  Hee!  They make me stupidly happy because I get to be Susie Home Maker and subversive. Its win/win.  

Craigslist Table
We bought this table years ago when my husband had been out of work for over a year and we desperately needed a family dining table. Its huge and scratched up like mad (one day I'll refinish it), so I like to keep a tablecloth over it to hide its fugliness. Its a majorly sturdy table out of real hardwood, so I'm loathe to give it up.   Given the messiness of my family, placemats were in order.


Outside of the actual Cthulhu fabric, this was a exercise in stash busting.  I used store bought bias tape (I inherited tons from Mom), and also used up some of the quilting cotton I bought prior to understanding fabric.  I'm probably going to try and bust the rest of those uninformed choices out sometime between now and February (the time I actually get Christmas presents done).

This quilting cotton looks like dragon scales. 



Cthulhu is thinking about pie. Tasty tasty pie. 


They aren't the prettiest things in the world in terms of accuracy.  I'm hoping people will be too busy rolling sanity checks to notice wonky stitching. That and they were smaller than the average placemat for reasons of frugality, or eeking out as much as I could with what I had.  I do need one more package of the brighter blue double fold bias tape for the two I have left to finish. I have a navy blue, but my husband pointed out that two different shades of blue would trigger my OCD tendencies.  When he's right, he's right. *sighs*

Soo... that's one less thing off of my UFO pile.  Now to make a few minor adjustments to the 70's pattern and get ready to cut it out tonight,  after the second half of my circle skirt class. WOO!

6 comments:

  1. I had to educate a friend about Cthulu the other day - and you, Lady K, taught me about the mythos. So I am so pleased you have some seriously sweet placemats - perhaps I ought to get some of this fabric for my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! "Can I talk to you about Cthulhu?" I'm glad I could help spread the word of the cult horror genre. I don't think many people know just how much of our modern pop horror culture comes from the works of H.P. Lovecraft. I honestly can't stomach his books but what its inspired since is great.

      Delete
  2. My daughter's table looks like it should oughta, a family table for a family with active children and a messy husband. Raising 5 daughters has given me a perspective on furniture, it is made to be lived on, not preserved for the future. My God do I miss Claudia. She will have left us for God's side a year ago come September 1st.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You forgot to mention giving up on ever having clean carpets. Ever. I want bamboo flooring.

      And I miss Mom too.

      Delete
  3. YESYESYESYESYES. LOVE the Cthulu place mats! And bravo for stash busting - they turned out so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I have some Tardis fabric favorited that I think I'm going to make later.

      Delete