Monday, August 27, 2012

Making Tried and True: Trousers

Hello Everyone! You know what I spent my weekend doing?  Well, I finished up my circle skirt class and now I have Dragon*Con looming ahead.  Yes, yes, i DID get my 70's dress cut out, i even got it mostly sewn together.  The bad part? Its too big.

How do I do that? Why do I keep making things too big for me?  well, I mean it would probably be the right size if it was in a woven, but I didn't need the FBA with the fabric I used (Graciously sent by Oona and is made of sparkle and light, even if its dammed slippery). Arrg. So I think I can fix it before Thursday. We'll see.  The kids' costumes are, for the most part, done. Just a few minor repairs necessary and we're good.  Felicity's all about the make-up.  But I digress.
source

All this has me thinking about practical sewing. WHAT?! I know, right? Its crazy. I want to sew some work stuff. Like trousers.  I need to turn a pair of trousers into a TNT pattern.  And it has to have pockets or its a no-go. I did make up Colette's Clover, which was nice enough but I'm not keen on the pocket treatments.  And adding them to the side or back just doesn't seem to go with the look.


Then I have this Simplicity 2700. Its one of their "amazing fit" lines, and its very similar to a pair I own and love.  They just seem plain on the pattern illustration. Its a "one inch" below waist pattern.


Burda Style
Then there is this Burda Style high-waist trouser that Sunni over at "A Fashionable Stitch" made (with sew-a-long!).  They are for tall women, but I'm long in the waist so that might work for me.  I love the band, the pockets, the side zip.  Its pretty much a perfect pair of work trousers.

So those are options already in my pattern arsenal. I have more, some without pockets, some for a more casual look. I'm even eyeing Sew-a-Holic's Thurlow Trousers, but the waist looks like its more suited for Mrs. Isis than me.  Other things that are important is the ability to wear it with shirts tucked or un-tucked, belted or no.

What say you, oh wise internet people?  Do you have a favorite?  Have you sewn any of these patters?  Inquiring minds want to know!

3 comments:

  1. I think you're very brave attempting to sew trousers, I haven't plucked up the courage yet!

    Miss P xx

    www.porcelinasworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My UFO is the Simplicity one - it's on my table but I cut the pieces out over a year ago & it's too big now so I'm at an impasse cause I'm not sure how to approach it lol.

    If I ever get around to actually sewing it I'll let you know how it goes! lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Amazing Fit one looks good and might be a good starting place. LOL at the Thurlow comment! Since I'm the exact figure type Sewaholic *doesn't* draft for ;). The style looks pretty similar to the Amazing Fit, though, and if you prefer the higher waist, why not go with that?

    Need to make myself some new trousers soon, too. Trying vainly to convince my brain that sundress season is over...

    ReplyDelete