Saturday, October 12, 2013

What Do You Wear To an MRI?

Hi there, how are you? Me, well, its been an interesting ride.



When in doubt, wear red. - Bill Blass (or Coco Chanel)


I made this dress a while ago but I figured, in the spirit of Sew Red October, I would take photos of it now. I love this dress, but not because I think its extremely flattering. Its Simplicity 2369, the third one I've made. The other two were a poly/lycra blend that's much better at not showing all your lumps and bumps but this one is a bamboo rayon. What I love about it is the color, the soft drape-y scrumptious feeling on my skin, and the color. Did I mention I love the color?

But about the title. The last six months since admitting to myself that I needed to take control of my health my life has been full of doctor visits, tests, sleeplessness, exhaustion, and painful epiphanies of how much I really can do in any given day. In there somewhere was having to go for an MRI with contrast. That meant no metal, easy to get to my arm for blood pressure and IV, easy to slip off shoes, and no jewelry. What I'm wearing here is how I'd wear it out, or add a slip and pantyhose for work, but for the MRI I wore flats and left all valuables at home. But anyway, before the MIR I was trying to decide between the three wrap dresses in my closet. And it had to be a wrap dress because I wanted to be able to take my bra off without undressing completely (cause under wires aren't a good thing to wear inside a giant magnet). After much consideration I finally settled on this one. Because RED. It gave me a bit more confidence to get through the day.


I even got multiple compliments from the staff as they liked how comfortable it looked and that it was such a bright color. I decided to tell them I made it and they were suitably impressed, which made my day.




Some Details:
Pattern: Simplicity 2369, size 18 straight up
Fabric: bamboo rayon from Fabric Mart. I bought it the day it went up even at 14.99 a yard because I knew this wouldn't last long. I was right. But its 78 inches wide, I only used 1.75 yards to make this!
Time: about 4 hours give or take
Cost: 20 dollars, which is a steal for a bamboo rayon dress.

So this dress stays in rotation regularly. I have two other colorways of this same fabric (bought ON sale :) ) but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it.  I guess that's all for now.

21 comments:

  1. The dress and the daughter are absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a very dramatic look! You look striking in these photos. I'm a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This dress is straight up gorgeous! I'd wear it to an MRI, but at my local hospital they make me wear a fugly hospital gown. The only redeeming feature of those is the boatneck. Hope you're doing ok!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm slowly getting better by regaining control over my health. I'm sorry you had to wear one of those horrid hospital gowns. That's never fun. Also, thank you.

      Delete
  4. Hope it all went well, you look gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It did go well, in that it gave us good info to move forward.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful color, I would have bought it at regular price too. I'm pretty sure you were the most fashionable person to ever come in for an MRI. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. you look like you kicked that MRIs ass, sexy lady.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's flattering - you look like a Greek goddess!! Courage pour la sante!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a pretty color on you! It looks like the perfect comfortable dress for lifting the spirits! I hope your health continues to improve and the doctors visits become less frequent.

    ~ Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a striking color and it sounds like the perfect dress for an MRI- but I'm sorry you need an MRI!! Glad it hear it gave you good information.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Red LOVES you! You pull off this color so beautifully. Very lovely make! And I know exactly what you mean about the bamboo rayon -- I've used a couple of pieces of it in the past and it feels just incredible. I did have some pill on me though, so I don't put it in the dryer now and it does better. :) I hope everything went okay with the MRI... Good for you for taking charge of your health/care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this dress. This pattern is such a good one for you. Red is always a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely pattern. Those gathers at the waist are really flattering. And red is a fab colour on you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both entirely appropriate and flattering!! Loving this vibrant hue on you. Great dress too :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really a fantastic color on you! And the dress is pretty and looks comfortable too- I hope all is well with you healthwise and if not yet- I hope it is SOON! ~Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can you feel my covetousness? Its at a very high level right now!

    ReplyDelete