Sunday, September 12, 2010

Lady Grey Sew-a-Long


So you may have noticed a little graphic over on the right hand side of my blog. That is because I'm participating in Gertie's Lady Grey Sew-a-Long. The name comes from the coat pattern designed by Colette Patterns. Colette is an independent pattern designer whose work I just love to pieces. I've made up two of her other patterns, including the blue dress I'll post below.

To the left is the fabric I've picked out to make the coat. The black and white is a silk tweed that is somewhere around 16 years old and I snagged from Mom's stash. The black and red is a silk charmeuse that will be the lining. First, however, will be the test garment made out of muslin. This is done to check the size and fit of the garment before cutting into the nice expensive fabric. Since everyone has a unique body it is HIGHLY recommended this is done when starting out with a new-to-you pattern. I will do a lengthy post on how companies draft patterns and why its almost impossible to get a good fit sewing them up as is.

In the mean time, stay tuned for progress reports and picture on how my first foray into tailoring goes! Stay beautiful!




No comments:

Post a Comment